Category Archives: Technology

4G Smoke and Mirrors

I recently noticed that all cell carriers are now advertising 4G networks. As a technophile, my first thought should have been “Yeah!  More speed in more places.”  But it wasn’t.  It was a raised eyebrow. A couple of years ago I was … Continue reading

Posted in Benefits from Trade, Economics, Regulation, Technology | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Seeing Things Clearly

Bill Gates predicted the merging of the different media (internet, TV, gaming) in general.  It happened.  And perhaps he missed it.  I say perhaps because the XBox is a significant foray into this space.  I say in general because his … Continue reading

Posted in Technology | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Verizon Gets the iPhone – Hurrah

As regular readers of this blog know my family recently acquired an iPhone.  That means that we have a two-year contract and are locked in with AT&T.  So why am I so happy that Verizon has launched its iPhone?  Because … Continue reading

Posted in Technology, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

If Left to Its Own Devices

In response to the Going Green on Accident post Aaron Gallagher, A But if Nots reader and engineer, excellently commented The fact remains that the oil companies still have a huge influence on Washington DC and their agenda is contrary … Continue reading

Posted in Energy, Progress, Subsidy, Technology | Tagged , , , , , | 2 Comments

Going Green On Accident

“You have about 5 percent of the market that is green and committed to fuel efficiency, but the other 95 percent will give up an extra 5 mpg in fuel economy for a better cup holder.” In a highly interesting … Continue reading

Posted in Benefits from Trade, Economics, Progress, Technology | Tagged , , , | 2 Comments

The Future of English is Binary

Several years ago we translated a software training product into Chinese only to be told by our Chinese counterparts that they preferred the English version – to help them learn and practice English. Work has taken me all around the … Continue reading

Posted in globalization, Google, Progress, Technology, Translation | Tagged , , , , , | 1 Comment

More on Smartphones

A reader, Carol B, sent me a link to the following video.  Perhaps a moment of levity will help you choose between the Blackberry and the Apple.

Posted in Technology | Tagged , , | 1 Comment